Frequently Asked Questions

How much floor space does an installation require?

This is somewhat dependant on the volume of chemicals produced. Generally, 200-300 square feet with 10' ceilings should work nicely for most users.

Should I be concerned about what goes down the drain?

This is an excellent question that has a very simple answer. Instead of washing chemicals to the drain, we recommend implementing a "closed loop" system that reclaims waste water and uses it in future chemical batches. That way, nothing goes down the drain.

I'm worried about slip and fall responsibility. How is this issue best handled?

There are basically two approaches you can take. The first involves Underwriters Laboratories (UL). This is an easy approach that involves testing fees and yearly maintenance fees. It offers excellent protection against slip claims and allows you to display the UL symbol on your label. The second approach is to use Essential's in-house testing as a means of testing your finish. Since Essential tests every floor finish under the ASTM D2047 Standard for slip resistance, all you need to do is keep good records and a small sample of each batch you produce. This is a very inexpensive method that offers excellent protection. Further, you can claim "slip-resistant - meets or exceeds ASTM D2047" on your literature and labels.

Since I'll need a person to blend and fill chemicals, how does this affect Workers' Compensation?

By doing some up-front training, it won't affect your Workers' Compensation. We can train your people in proper mixing and filling techniques. All products have clearly imprinted blending instructions on them and the majority of chemicals being used are non-hazardous. Since properly designed equipment is important, we can assist you with this when necessary.

What if someone were to get hurt using a chemical I made?

The products you blend are insurable. We can take the worry out of labeling by providing you with directions, cautions and first aid statements along with SDSs. The other thing to remember is that very few of the products you'll be dealing with are considered hazardous.

What about shipping these products? Should I be concerned with DOT regulations?

We have a full-time regulatory specialist who can assist you with your DOT questions. They can also assist you with OSHA, EPA and USDA as well as your local regulations.

Do I need additional insurance to cover my liability as a manufacturer of Superbase products?

In order to answer this question, you will need to discuss your current policy coverage with your insurance agent. We recommend that you utilize, during this discussion with your agent, the information designed by Essential Industries' engineering services department regarding the recommended manufacturing equipment and the products you plan to manufacture at your facility. This will give the agent a better sense of what you will be doing so she/he can address your question.